Loan Box 5: WW2 and Evacuation (KS2)
Children investigate what life might have been like for a child during the Second World War, making comparisons with their own lives.
- Cardboard suitcase containing clothing for an evacuee boy and girl
- Knitted teddy bear
- Bag of marbles
- Replica rationing book and ID card
- Pouch containing replica coins from wartime era
- Replica incendiary bomb
- Replica rationing pack
- Perspex case containing WW2 civilian gas mask
- Background information about WW2 and Operation Pied Piper
- Information about the picture packs and how to use them.
- A series of teaching resources and activities including:
- Packing to Leave – a drawing/notetaking activity, encouraging children to think about what they would take with them if evacuated
- Make your own ID card – a replica ID card
- Exploring Rationing – Children explore wartime rationing and make their own replica ration book.
- Make your own gas mask box – replica labels to support in the making of gas mask boxes.
- Finding a Family – a drama activity encouraging children to explore different evacuee scenarios.
- Writing a letter home – planning frame to support a drama or written task