This coach was one of three introduced by the GWR in 1897 to carry First Class passengers between Paddington and the port of Fishguard and the Irish ferry. The coach was in service until 1931.
In 1933 the body was sold and became part of a bungalow, spending the next fifty years under a tiled roof.
In 1985 this historic vehicle was rescued and came to the West Somerset Railway for restoration.
With a restored GWR underframe (chassis) and much interior woodwork donated from a coach (No 9039) by the Great Western Society at Didcot, the coach was restored over a twenty-year period by volunteers of the Trust. The coach is shown in its 1925 condition.
The coach is normally open to view in the Gauge Museum at Bishops Lydeard Station.
Saturday 13 May 2006 was an historic day for the West Somerset Steam Railway Trust as its Great Western Railway First Class sleeping car, no 9038, was returned to traffic after a twenty-year restoration project. The sleeping car was constructed in 1897 and was used on the Paddington to Fishguard service, linking with the Irish ferry.
It was withdrawn from service and sold for accommodation in 1933 – it being built into a bungalow that was called “Journey’s End” at Stogursey, near Bridgwater. The vehicle has 8 single berths, and seating for 6 people in a centre compartment. The sleeping berths have connecting doors so that couples could be accommodated.
The coach was officially returned to traffic by Lady Acland-Hood-Gass, President of the Trust and Lord-Lieutenant of Somerset, who cut the ceremonial ribbon at Bishops Lydeard station before the coach left for Minehead behind WSR 2-6-0 no 9351 on the 10.25am train. Lady Gass’s great-grandfather, Sir Peregrine Acland-Hood was the main backer of the West Somerset Railway when it was built in 1862.
The coach looked magnificent in the morning sun and conveyed specially invited guests including contributors to the restoration and representatives of the WSR Plc and WSRA to Minehead and back. The coach has been restored at Williton by a small band of volunteers led by Trust secretary and long-time volunteer on the West Somerset Railway, Chris van den Arend. Although when recovered the coach was structurally sound, the interior has required much work.
In particular, some of the sleeping berth dividing partitions had been removed, and were replaced by similar woodwork from sister coach, 9039 which was scrapped at Didcot. The exterior has been restored to 1920s livery and signwritten by Bob Timmins. The West Somerset Steam Railway Trust has been very grateful for support from the Science Museum Prism Fund which has contributed towards the project.
Major expenditure has been required for a replacement underframe, replacement window blinds – the material had to be specially woven – and for new gas lamps which were manufactured by the company of Sugg – who had also supplied the originals to the GW in 1897! Although now mostly complete, the Trust is still waiting for several replacement tip-up washbasins to be supplied to complete the job. It is the intention that the coach should be placed on display in the Gauge Museum at Bishop’s Lydeard, but until then will be returned to its home in the Tarmac shed at Williton where most of the restoration work has taken place.
From a press release issued at the time of the above event.