Reopening of the Gauge Museum Bishops Lydeard Station
The new interpretation of the Gauge Museum at Bishops Lydeard station was formally opened by Rebecca Pow MP for Taunton Deane on Saturday, 21st May 2022 at an event held with selected guests.
The new interpretation, funded jointly by the National Heritage Lottery Fund and the West Somerset Railway Heritage Trust is the culmination of a three-year project undertaken by Trustees and volunteers. It was actually completed in 2021 but the formal opening was delayed due to the restrictions imposed by Covid 19.
Around £60,000 has been invested in new displays, an increased number of artefacts and the introduction of interactive materials and activities. The centrepiece of the museum remains GWR 1897 Sleeping Car 9038 which has been enhanced internally with examples of Victorian costumes and other exhibits reflective of the period.